Crap. What do I cook for date night?
I tried to alleviate my unease with logic (I could see my date thinking: "He's Mr. Thirddatecooking... come on...") and soon realized I was mentally stepping through a checklist:
Days Before ask yourself these questions:
- "Is she allergic or particularly dislike a food?"
- "What is her preference on protein? Pork, Beef, Fish?"
- "From our previous dates, what else do I know about her eating and food habits?"
- Gather the necessities (olive oil, onions, garlic, cutting board, salt, pepper, and legitimate silverware/plates/napkins)
Determining the Food:
- Hors D'oeuvres - It doesn't have to be fancy. Pick a few items - hummus, fresh sourdough bread, fresh cheese, slices of cucumber, olives. Check out this tip of the day for more insight
- Dinner - Pick a protein + two sides
- Dessert - Optional (I'm not a dessert person, so you're on your own). If you're having trouble deciding, check out my poll on what my women readers think
- Drink - Bottle of wine (or two) and glass (not plastic) wine glasses
The Day of:
- A clean kitchen and a clean bathroom are a must
- Throw on some light background music to avoid awkward silences (I like to find a Pandora station on my phone so I can blame poor music choices on Pandora)
- Real plates and glasses - no paper plates or plastic cups
- Other items that couldn't hurt:
- A lit candle in the bathroom. One on the kitchen table
- Roommates gone from the apartment
- Eat at the table NOT at the coffee table in front of the TV
- Turn off the TV
- Buy a few breakfast items for the next day (just in case)
- *** Don't cook everything ahead of time, have the light appetizers ready (Astoundingly, 72% of my readers want you to cook in front of her)
- Cook with her. Make her your sous chef. (Read more in this post)
- Garnishes make you look like a professional (lemon wedges, freshly grated cheese)
- And finally....relax. People have been cooking for years
For more help, check out these sections:
Check out my blog I have awarded you the Liebster award!
Thanks for the love! I like your "17 guys to date" post... http://www.ithrowhammersatboys.blogspot.com/2012/01/gertie-resolves-to-date-these-17-guys.html. Better success if he can check more than one of those boxes? (though some combinations would be creepy...)ReplyDelete